For this assignment you are required to demonstrate your understanding of virtualization,hypervisors, concurrency, and parallel processing.
This assessment is relevant to the Course Learning Outcomes CLOs 4, 5.
This assessment will determine your ability to
- Understand the concepts taught over Week 7 to Week 9 of the course.
- Work independently in self-directed study to research the identified issues.
Prepare the answers to this assignment in an electronic format and convert to a single Acrobat PDF (.pdf) file for submission, with the filename being your student number (e.g., S1234567.pdf) containing all the answers to all the questions in this assignment.
Paper submissions are not accepted; if some parts of the assignment have been completed by hand, scan these in and include this in your electronic submission.
You should submit your assignment via Canvas Assignments Assessment 2 Submission.
You may resubmit the assignment if you need to, only the most recent version will be marked.
Please note the following.
- Clearly number each answer according to the numbering in this assignment specificatio(e.g., Q1, Q2, Q3a, Q3b, etc.).
- Use at least 11-point font size.
- It is your responsibility to correctly submit your files. Please verify that your submission is correctly submitted by downloading what you have submitted to see if your submitted file includes the correct content.
- Never leave submission to the last minute – you may have difficulty uploading files.
- You can submit multiple times – a new submission will override any earlier submissions.
However, if your final submission is after the due time, late penalties will apply.
5.Academic integrity and plagiarism (standard warning)
Do not ever simply copy and paste what another writer has written. This is stealing. What we need is your own words – your own understanding.
All plagiarism will be penalised, there are no exceptions and no excuses. You have been warned.
6.Rubric and marking guidelines
Submission files not in the required format will not be marked.
A penalty of 10% per day of the total available marks will apply for each day being late. After 5 days, you will receive zero mark for the assignment.
If you want to seek an extension of time for assignment submission, you must have a substantial reason for that, such as unexpected circumstances. Reasons such as, unable to cope with study load, is not substantial. Also, you must apply for an extension as soon as possible. Last minute extensions cannot be granted unless it attracts special consideration.
Please find out how to apply for special consideration online at
Any student wishing an extension must go through the official procedure for applying for extensions and must apply at least a week before the due date. Do not wait till the submission due date to apply for an extension.
The rubric can be found in Canvas Assignments Assessment 2.
7.COSC2626 vs COSC2640 questions
This assignment has 15 questions and students are required to answer all questions. Note that questions 9, 10 and 15 have two versions, one for COSC2626, the other for COSC2640. You only need to do the ones coded for your course.
Before You Start
Do not copy from lecture notes. Use your own words and clearly demonstrate your understanding.
Virtualization and hypervisors (58 marks)
- (4 marks) Describe two advantages and two disadvantages of cloud computing over running your programs locally.
- (6 marks) Describe what the following terms, IAAS, PAAS, and SAAS, mean, and give an example for each of them.
- (4 marks) Briefly explain privileged and non-privileged instructions with examples
- (6 marks) What is the difference between kernel and user mode? Explain how having these two distinct modes facilitates the design of hypervisors.
- (4 + 4 + 2 = 10 marks) Explain the difference between full virtualization and paravirtualization. Why do you want to use full virtualization over paravirtualization and vice versa? How can you make a paravirtualized OS work with different Hypervisors as well as on native hardware? Explain your answer.
- (6 marks) Explain the challenge imposed by guest OS to virtualization. What is the common solution? Explain how it works.
- (5 marks) Why do we need binary translation? How does it work? Does it have a future?Explain your answer.
- (5 marks) With many VMs sharing memory, briefly explain why it is difficult to virtualize memory.
本网站支持 Alipay WeChatPay PayPal等支付方式
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org 微信号:vipnxx